These are so ‘moreish’ and a great snack for those with gluten intolerance. It’s always difficult to know what you can just pop in your mouth without buying something gluten-free from a shop, but you can make these so quickly, and they freeze! Make up a few batches at a time, so you never run out!
Serves: 20 balls
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
- 150g desiccated coconut, plus 25g extra to coat, or some chopped nuts
- 275ml condensed milk
- 6 cardamom pods, seeds removed and crushed
- Pistachio halves or toasted almond flakes, to garnish
- You will need a relatively heavy-base saucepan. Pour in the condensed milk and add the cardamom seeds and coconut. Stir, and continue to cook over a medium heat for around 4 minutes. The mixture needs to be stiff and like its glued together! It’s ok like that, don’t panic, it is still nice and soft and gooey!
- One it’s reached this texture, don’t delay and remove it from the heat and leave to cool. When cool enough to handle, roll the mixture into around 20 balls. Try not to get your hand too hot and don’t mess around with the mixture, it spoils the texture.
- Put the remaining coconut on to a plate and roll the balls in it to cover. Push in a pistachio or a couple of flaked almonds into the top of one. Leave to completely cool before putting them in the refrigerator.
If you prefer, you can roll the balls in chopped nuts to get a different flavour and texture.