Sensitivity can be a complex matter. You can be sensitive to a specific item, or to several items. If this is the case, you need to consume food that is unlikely to cause you any form of reaction, and at the same time, is gentle on your stomach. Lean meats, fruit and vegetables, along with specific herbs or spices to create more flavour, can be the answer. In this recipe, we use lean beef as a protein, along with ancient flavourings such as tamari, ginger (great for tummies and is particularly anti-inflammatory). Pineapple is a cleansing fruit, and contains a good amount of Vitamins A, B6, C, E and K, so it’s an all-round healthy package. Particularly useful is that pineapple is full of enzymes that aid your digestion. Ginger is very soothing for any upset tummy. If you can tolerate soy, by all means change the tamari to soy for a different flavour.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Dietary: LF, GF, NF, anti-inflammatory
- 400g lean rump steak, very thinly sliced
- 3tbsp tamari sauce
- 2tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1tbsp light chilli sauce
- 1tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2tsp vegetable oil
- Thumb sized piece of ginger, cut into fine matchsticks
- 4 spring onions, cut into 3cm lengths
- 200g pineapple in natural juice or fresh, cut into chunks
- Handful Thai basil leaves, to serve
- Rice and greens (such as pak choi), to serve
- Really simple. First, put the steak and tamari, sugar, rice wine vinegar, and chilli sauce into a bowl, mix around and leave to one side for about 10-15 minutes.
- Use a wok or large frying pan, place on your hob with the vegetable oil. Heat the oil and swirl it around the pan. Add the steak (reserve the marinade) to quickly flash fry and seal, then remove from the pan/wok.
- Add ginger and gently fry for about a minute, then add the spring onions, ginger and pineapple. Cook for a minute or so, then toss the steak back into the pan. Stir for a minute so that all the ingredients are heated through, then add the reserve marinade.
- Continue to cook until the steam is rising nicely and the meal is hot and ready to eat. Serve with some Chinese greens or bok choi and rice, or gluten-free noodles (rice noodles).
Nutritional Values: Calories 270, Fat 11g, Carbs 19g, Protein 23g